Tuesday 5 August 2014

The Table - Sex Cells

This is "The Tables" second and disappointingly their last single. maybe they knew this, as there is a tiny little "Help" etched on the vinyl.

It followed their excellent "Do the standing still". The lyrics aren't great but I've always enjoyed it. Its a catchy sing along song and at 2.10 minues longs its difficult to get bored with.

As usual for many punk singles the b-sides not bad as well.

Band: The Table
Year: 1978
Label: Chiswick
Tracks:
1. Sex Cells
2. The Road Of Lyfe

Ripped from glorious scratched vinyl

6 comments:

Noel Fox said...

I remember being disappointed that The Table did nothing after this - many crappier 'punk' bands did albums that weren't worth listening to - I had a feeling that these guys would eventually do something interesting, but it was not to be and we'll probably never know why. I actually was ok with the lyrics to this and thought (as a 'sort of' songwriter myself)that the structure of this song was quite weird : verse/verse/chorus/bridge/instrumental break/chorus/chorus. But that bass playing - fuck me!

Punkzer0 said...

Hi Noel, thanks for the comment, and I share your opinion, after two great singles I was looking forward to the next release, and then.... nothing. Shame.

Chuck Lyons said...

From what I've read about The Table, it may well be that they antagonised their record companies too much. Listening to the two singles, it seems they were changing fast. I can't imagine what a third single would have sounded like! Until I downloaded 'Sex Cells', I always though it was a guitar playing that frenetic intro (on my old vinyl copy), but now I can hear it's the bass. As Noel Fox said - fuck me!

Punkzer0 said...

Thanks for the comment Chuck. I totally agree it would be impossible to guess what the next single would of sounded like, and it's a real shame we will never know.

Anonymous said...

Do The Standing Still is just so absolutely brilliant.

Punkzer0 said...

your so right anon.