Tuesday 5 August 2014

The Boys - First Time

This was "The Boys" second single and has always been my favorite. The Boys churned out an impressive number of quality singles and albums and yet never really achieved the fame they deserved.

When you listen to this single, it is difficult to understand how they never made it. It is pure punk and pop combined.

"First time" is excellent and should be on anyone's "Punk and New Wave" playlist. The two tracks on the b-side are average in my opinion, but you decide yourself.


Band: The Boys
Label: NEMS
Year: 1977
Tracks:
1. First Time
2.Whatcha Gonna Do
3. Turning Grey


Ripped from glorious scratched vinyl:


If you like this, then buy this (their debut album issued on the day Elvis died in 1977):
THE BOYS (Digi-Pak) - THE BOYSTHE BOYS (Digi-Pak) - THE BOYS

9 comments:

arstider said...

Just found your blog.
Great Great stuff
Cos I got most singles.....
Fun to listen to them again.
Cos you never play a single anymore.

The Boys is still after all these years a great band.

Best wishes from Sweden

ps I still miss the first singles with ATV on your blog......

Punkzer0 said...

Hi Arstider, thanks for your comment.

I haven't got round to posting ATV yet- They will come..

Gary

arstider said...

Good to hear
Glad to see Skids on your blog also a great band. First LP is really great.

Best wishes from Sweden

45 Revolutions said...

The Boys were the first punk band I ever saw. They were much fun!

Punkzer0 said...

Yep, its a shame they never got the recognition that they deserved.

I can't remember the first punk band I saw, it was most probably Sham 69, when they used to play at a disco in Walton On Thames - The Hop. They used to play songs that I don;t think have ever been recorded like 'I catch the 219 (a red bus) to the Walton hop'

45 Revolutions said...

Ah, the Walton Hop. Were you ever, you know, 'approached'??!?

Punkzer0 said...

I'm intrigued now, did you use to go the Hop?

I think every young lad was approached. Luckily for me I hung out with a 'streetwise crew' so we all knew what they were up to.

I guess you were as well???

Anonymous said...

great blog...

I ve the dutch issue of the boys...check out ebay

http://cgi.ebay.nl/7-THE-BOYS-FIRST-TIME-DUTCH-NEMS-OLD-SKOOL-PUNK_W0QQitemZ140261907494QQihZ004QQcategoryZ27351QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

www.starson45.nl

Punkzer0 said...

Thanks for the compliment Starson, and good luck with the auction.