Tuesday 5 August 2014

Generation X - King Rocker

I know what your thinking, “King Rocker” that’s a pit poppy and by no means the best “Generation X” single, and I would agree with you.
But as is often the case with Punk records, it’s the b-side that is the reason for this posting.
“Gimme Some Truth” was a protest song from John Lennon, originally released on his “Imagine” album in 1971. Lennon was protesting about deceptive politicians (what’s changed).
In the lyrics “Tricky Dicky” was used (see Lyrics at bottom of posting) this was a reference directly to Richard Nixon, and became increasingly relevant with the 1972 Watergate scandal and subsequently the nickname stuck with Nixon.
I’m a big fan of covers if they are done well, and in my opinion this one is. Recorded live in 1977 for a John Peel session, Generation X has ‘punked’ up the song and made a few minor changes to the lyrics. This for me was the only reason for buying this single, as I was never a great fan of “King Rocker”.
Band: Generation X
Label: Chrysalis
Year: 1979
Tracks:
1. King Rocker
2. Gimme Some Truth



If you like these tracks go and buy this album; both sides are now on the CD version:
Valley of the Dolls
Valley of the Dolls
GIMME SOME TRUTH (John Lennon Lyrics)
I'm sick and tired of hearing things
From uptight, short-sighted, narrow-minded hypocritics
All I want is the truth
Just gimme some truth
I've had enough of reading things
By neurotic, psychotic, pig-headed politicians
All I want is the truth
Just gimme some truth

No short-haired, yellow-bellied, son of tricky dicky
Is gonna mother hubbard soft soap me
With just a pocketful of hope
Money for dope
Money for rope

No short-haired, yellow-bellied, son of tricky dicky
Is gonna mother hubbard soft soap me
With just a pocketful of soap
Money for dope
Money for rope

I'm sick to death of seeing things
From tight-lipped, condescending, mama's little chauvinists
All I want is the truth
Just gimme some truth now

I've had enough of watching scenes
Of schizophrenic, ego-centric, paranoiac, prima-donnas
All I want is the truth now
Just gimme some truth

No short-haired, yellow-bellied, son of tricky dicky
Is gonna mother hubbard soft soap me
With just a pocketful of soap
It's money for dope
Money for rope

Ah, I'm sick and tired of hearing things
from uptight, short-sighted, narrow-minded hypocrites
All I want is the truth now
Just gimme some truth now

I've had enough of reading things
by neurotic, psychotic, pig-headed politicians
All I want is the truth now
Just gimme some truth now

All I want is the truth now
Just gimme some truth now
All I want is the truth
Just gimme some truth
All I want is the truth
Just gimme some truth.

5 comments:

arstider said...

Think it was in four different picture sleeves as well. Fun you got same as mine.....

Best wishes from Sweden

Punkzer0 said...

You are right Arstrider, If you look on the back cover, there are small pictures of each cover.

Anonymous said...

I picked the red Billy Idol one. Unfortunately.
Robert - Stockholm

Wilthomer said...

I was just listening to a Generation X CD comp I made a friend this morning and marvelled at how lucky I was to have experienced their music before Billy Idol went off and became a rock star! In my young and stupid days it took a more enlightened co-worker to point out that "Gimme Some Truth" was indeed a John Lennon #!

Punkzer0 said...

Thanks for the comment Withomer, I agree I saw Gen X in their early days and always liked them, even though it wasn't cool to admit it.

Having a wife who was a Beatle fan, it was pointed out, early on to me that Gimme Some Truth was a Lennon number.