Tuesday 5 August 2014

Johnny And The Self Abusers - Saints And Sinners

Another classic from Chiswick, they knew how to pick some excellent bands. This was never rated by the critics but has always been one of my favorites. Sub two minute (1:54) a good riff, nice and fast. Just what I like.

This was their only single as Johnny and the Self Abusers, but what did make this track more well known than it probably would have, is that the lead singer is Jim Kerr from Simple Minds. Its hard to see how they went from this to the early electronic and dance incarnations of simple minds.



The b-side is average, and I think I have only played it a couple of times.

Band: Johnny and the Self Abusers
Label: Chiswick
Year: 1977
Tracks:
1. Saints and Sinners
2. Dead Vandals





So ripped from glorious scratched vinyl

4 comments:

Wunty said...

I bought Saints and Sinners from a small record shop in Kings Lynn and manged to hang on to it for years. I stupidly sold it on f***ing ebay recently. One of my biggest regrets.

Punkzer0 said...

Hi Wunty, I sold loads of things over the years and have nearly always regretted it.

Anonymous said...

Hey! Thanks for the info. Actually, most of the band JatSA went on to become Simple Minds, not just Jim Kerr. Amazing guitarist Charlie Burchill has been part of JatSA and Simple Minds since the very beginning. This track is so great, and so punk! Definitely different from their later work as SM.

Punkzer0 said...

Thanks for the comment and the extra info anon. This one was (and still is ) a punk classic