Tuesday 5 August 2014

The Shapes - Wot's For Lunch Mum (Not B****s Again)

The Shapes were more akin to someone like Television Personalities. Punk sound with witty, amusing lyrics. Songs like "Batman in the Launderette" and lyrics like "Holy Soap", Excellent.

The first track is "Wots for lunch Mum? (not Beans again!) for some reason they didn't spell beans but "b****s. Who knows?

This was their first single a 4 track ep released in 1979 on Sofa Records.

The cover was just a single piece of paper - nice and simple (punk).

I always said I would post music that would make you smile, if this one doesn't then you need to lighten up. Try it.

Band: The Shapes
Label: Sofa Records
Year: 1979
Tracks:
1. Wot's For Lunch Mum? (not B***s again!)
2. College Girls
3. (I Saw) Batman In The Launderette
4. Chatterboks













ripped from glorious scratched vinyl:



Songs for Sensible People
Songs for Sensible People

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

This album is to be re-issued soon mate as it hasn't been available on CD for some time. All I have is a copy I downloaded and its only on 128kbps but here it is in case you want it

http://rapidshare.com/files/83339015/Songs_For_Sensible_People.zip.html

Longy

Anonymous said...

One of the d-i-y punk bands that still stands up after all these years. I still have the original 7", bought in the day. See Paul Marko's new book "The Roxy WC2" for recent interview information from one of the band (from memory, Seymour Bybuss [spelling?]) - an early punk gig goer.

Thanks for the great blog!

James

Punkzer0 said...

Hi James, thanks for your comment. I haven't read The Roxy WC2 yet, must do that sometime, two of my favourite albums are the Roxy WC2 and Farewell to the Roxy.

Anonymous said...

Hi Gary,telling you the truth,it's a while that i'm downloading from your blog and i'm enjoying it,i already bought myself coupple of masterpieces in vinyl(on me,nobody scared...) and i'm a happier person! i want to thank you so much...i never wrote a comment because this is something new for me,but i have to tell you this: you write that you post music to make us smile...well,have you checked out the shape's myspace page?i just did and i was crying with laughter!thank you again for all this marvellous music,Elisa

Punkzer0 said...

Hi Elisa, thanks for your comment and recommendation to check out the Shapes on myspace (I will get over there soon).

It looks like you have excellent taste, you have purchased two of my all time favourites, and I'm really glad they make you happy (its nice to know others get that same feeling),

All the best

I-FE said...

Leamington Spa's finest.

Punkzer0 said...

Your not wrong there.

Are there any other famous bands from Leamington Spa?

Dirk said...

Just found this by accident and instantly had to repeat the song about a dozen times, great stuff, I also added this a link to my blog, more people should know this great EP.

Punkzer0 said...

Hi Dirk, thanks for the comment and the link, I will add yours as well. Your right this is a classic and more people should know about it.