Tuesday 5 August 2014

Advertising - Lipstick

Debut (I think) single from Advertising released on EMI 1977 (could off been a sister song to Anarchy in the UK, but sadly not). I found this one in the cheapo 'out of the charts' section that Woolworths used to have. I didn't know anything about them but for 25p it was worth a try and the bands name sounded a little punk (Adverts, etc).

I still don't know much about 'Advertising' but I do think the a-side 'Lipstick' is pretty catchy new wave/power pop song. The b-side 'Lonely guys' is not for me, it's an OK pop song but demonstrates in my opinion that this single was released at the right time to ride on the punk/new wave bandwagon.

They did release an album 'Jingles' as well, which I have never heard. Anyone out there got it? Know what it's like? If you can find it, both sides of this single are on it.

Band: Advertising
Label: EMI
Year: 1977
Tracks:
1. Lipstick
2. Lonely Guys

Ripped from glorious scratched vinyl:

6 comments:

John Liedown said...

Hi gary,
Punk not Profit posted the album a few months back. Link is still active.
J
http://punknotprofit.blogspot.com/search?q=advertising

Punkzer0 said...

Hi John, thanks for that.

Anonymous said...

The album is not good. Their best song is Lipstick.

jeff said...

hey gary, that'd be great if you get a chance to post "murder the disturbed". thanks much. i also noticed a couple posts back yer offer to find bands for song titles. i don't even have a title. just foggy memory. as far as i can remember the 45 was english, came out in 1979? and had a "alpha" side and a "omega" side and one of the songs chorus was "i am the alpha and the omega"...hows that for vague? its been bugging the piss outta me for years. anyone help on this one?. thanks.

Punkzer0 said...

Hi Jeff, one song with "I am the alpha and the Omega" is the Pack's King of Kings, posted on this blog. Try it and tell me if this is the one.

Punkzer0 said...

Hi Jeff also send me an email, links in my profile.