Tuesday 5 August 2014

Captain Sensible Single Review - Record Mirror July 23 1977

From the lesser known music paper 'Record Mirror' I have found an amusing single review by Captain Sensible, where he takes a bite out of all the records he doesn't like (which is most of them). Points of interest are the references to Johnny Moped (as Sensible was once of the band). A review of the excellent 'No One' (Follow the link for this posting), where Sensible has a moan that 'record Mirror' slagged of 'No One' a few weeks earlier and for those of you who can't be bothered to download this is what he said.

"I don't want to slag everything off, but I'm sorry, I don't like it. Two weeks ago you slagged off the Johnny Moped single and it was great. Do you know he's giving up playing because of what you said. Well not just you, but all the reviews".

Then the Capitan then insists on reviewing the Johnny Moped single again:

"This man is a genius. Everything is good apart from Slimey Toad's guitar playing. He owes me £5"

There is also a review of the Ramones single 'Swallow My pride".

The best review I ever read was (I think) in the Guardian, and I can't remember the song or group but it went like this:

Shit producer, shit cover, shit label, shit guitar, shit drums, shit bass guitar, shit vocals, shit backing vocals, shit tune, shit lyrics, shit song. Shit.

Well it made me laugh , can anyone else remember this? Leave a comment with the best review you have read.

The download has a full size scan so you can read it.Get the full size view here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?gewnwakk0dj

No comments: